July 12, 2017

Days 15-19

We made it to our next stop in Erwin, Tenn at Uncle Johnny's. I haven't had a good enough signal to post. We started out at Culver's Gap. We hiked up and had lunch at the higest elevation shelter on the trail. It was so chilly. 


The cloudy picture of Mayson and Trey is at the site of where the Cloudland Hotel was. The hotel was built in the 1800's. The TN/NC line ran through the middle of the ballroom. You could drink in TN but not NC so I guess people would hang out on TN side and the Sheriff of NC would fine you if you crossed with alcohol.

 
Mayson and I have been hair twins bc the only way we can have our hair is up in a bun on top of our head so that it doesn't get tangled. Plus the back of our packs is so high a ponytail doesn't work for us.

We've played Uno and Spades at night with our waterproof cards. 

Sam hiked in to a hostel one morning to get fuel for our Jetboil and he brought back Pop Tarts. The kids we overjoyed since we don't ever have them.

The grassy area was called Beauty Gap. It was was definitely beautiful hence the name I guess.
Yesterday was a tough day for me hiking wise. I think I got sand in my shoes. I had 2 blisters at beginning of the day and at least 7 at the end. Not going to lie the second half of the day  was miserable. Sam doctored them and it was bearable on our hike in today. Right now I am soaking in a foot bath so it's glorious! 

One awesome part of yesterday was getting to experience some "Trail Magic." At one of the places the trail crosses a road we met Brother Tom and his dog Moses. He was part of a Catholic ministry. He had lemonade, sweet tea, cold water, fruit, brownies, and banana bread. He is out there 4 days a week just loving on hikers. Last year he said he did 6 days a week He was such a blessing to us! 

We got a package from our good friends the Hutsons. Katy being one of my best friends sent me wine and my favorite buffalo pretzel crisps!


Uncle Johnny's has a free shuttle into town to the all you can eat pizza buffet so we ate real food and had cold drinks! Then we went to the Dollar General to get some resupply stuff. No matter how small the town there is usually a Dollar General. We plan to enjoy the rest of the day veggin out. 


If you have moment or 2 will you send Mayson and Trey a letter to the next stop? It will be our last stop before we finish. It can be a short combined letter to both of them but they get so excited to hear from their friends.

Mayson and Trey Smith
c/o Sam Smith
General Delivery
Hot Springs, NC 28743
Hold for section Hiker est. arrival 7/18/17

There may be another long stretch without a post. Hopefully I'll get a good signal between now and Hot Springs though.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love reading the blog updates! The memories y'all are making are amazing! Safe travels friend. Love y'all!